Salzburg City Tour

Book this tour

10 photos

2. Mirabell Palace

Mirabell Palace  was built in the 17th century (1606) by Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Reitenau. Originally the palace was called Schloss Altenau, Palace Altenau, after Wolf Dietrich's mistress, Salome Alt.

In the 18th century Lukas von Hildebrandt changed the name into Mirabell, which in Latin and means “beautiful view”. Today the Mirabell palace is the seat of the city government and the registry office. The beautiful marble hall is used for concerts and wedding ceremonies.

The Mirabell Gardens are a typical baroque park and were built in the 18th century following the plans of the famous Austrian architect, Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach and the Italian Ottavio Mosto. There are currently about 30,000 flowers planted there. The Pegasus fountain behind the palace became famous in the movie "The Sound of Music", Maria and the children were dancing and singing the “Do-re-mi” around it.


Mirabell Palace

Copyright ©2014, Salzburg Panorama Tours Johannes u Mag Stefan Herzl OHG | All right reserved